3 Phase PDU Solutions
Nearly all power in the world today is generated as 3-Phase. It is the most efficient way to produce and distribute electricity. 3 Phase power is used in data centers to support high density IT applications and minimize the cost of the cables delivering that power. One of the early challenges of three phase power was load balancing. In the past, this meant carefully dividing power evenly across the three branches of the rack PDU so that you could draw roughly similar current on each branch. Now, Server Technology offers 3 Phase PDUs with Alternating Phase. This allows for power to be phased on a per-outlet basis instead of a per-branch basis.
3 Phase Power Distribution
in the Data Center
Why use a Server Technology 3-Phase PDU with Alternating Phase:
- Alternate phased power on a per-outlet basis instead of per-branch basis
- Simplified cable management
- Better airflow
- Less heat meaning lower cooling costs
- Net improvement of PUE
- Simplified load balancing and greater efficiencies
Why Load Balancing?
- If the three phases are not balanced, heat is generated resulting in higher cooling costs
- Unbalanced Loads lead to inefficiency and higher power bills
- High loads on a single phase means greater chance of tripping either a PDU or upstream breaker, and losing power at the rack
Easy Load Balancing
Choose Alternating PhaseAlternating phase outlets alternate the phased power on a per-outlet basis instead of a per-branch basis. This allows for shorter cords, quicker installation and easier load balancing for 3-phase rack mount PDUs.
Read the Alt Phase Executive Summary
Introducing the HDOT CxThe Cx outlet is the ultimate in flexibility, a C13 and C19 combined into one outlet. With no additional parts, a C14 or a C20 cable can be plugged into the Cx outlet.
Download the HDOT Cx Flyer
Need a rack PDU tailored to your data center?
Moving into 3-phase?View Switched PDUs
View Smart PDUs
Build Your Own HDOT Cx PDU
A New Look at 3-Phase Power Distribution in the Data Center
Three phase power is used in data centers to support high density IT applications and minimize the cost of the cables delivering that power.
This paper discusses the importance of load balancing across phases, and how using PDUs having alternating phase outlets simplifies the load balancing process.
Simplify 3-phase power load balancing with Alternating Phase Technology. Read the executive summary today.
- Shedding Light on 3-Phase Power - Part 1
- Shedding Light on 3-Phase Power - Part 2
- Video Review: Take a New Look at 3-Phase Power Distribution
- All About the New 3-Phase Power Video
- Want to Support High-Density Applications? Try a 3 Phase PDU.
- 3 Phase PDUs - It's Not Just a Phase
- On the Benefits of Alternating Phase
- The Advantages of an Uncluttered Rack, Part I
- The Advantages of an Uncluttered Rack, Part II
- Single vs. Three Phase Power Distribution - Know the Difference
- 3 Reasons Your Data Center is Losing Money
- Don't Have A Cow About Load Balancing, Man
- How to Calculate Three Phase Power in the Data Center (And Why it's Important)
- AN HDOT-003: How do I specify a single cabinet PDU for use with a variety of equipment deployments?
- AN HDOT-005: How do I provide up to 34kW in a rack with only one pair of PDUs?
- AN CDU-001: How do I optimally provide more than 10kW per cabinet?
- AN FSTS-001: How can I add power redundancy to single-cord devices?
- AN HDOT Cx-007: How can I future-proof my data center environment with a single rack PDU for sue with a variety of equipment configurations?
- AN PDU-001: What are the line and branch current limitations for my rack PDU?
About Server Technology
Server Technology's power strategy experts are trusted to provide Rack PDU solutions for demanding data
ranging from small technology startups to Fortune 100 powerhouses. Because power is all we do, you will
us in the best cloud and co-location providers, forward thinking labs and telecommunications operations.
Technology customers consistently rank us as providing the highest quality PDU's, the best customer support
most valuable innovation. Let us show you; we have over 12,000 PDU configurations to fit every data center
Only with Server Technology will customers Stay Powered, Be Supported and Get Ahead.
See what our customers say.
- Highest Quality Rack PDU's
- Best Customer Support
- Most Patents in the Industry