Dilbert’s Top 5 Lessons for the Data Center: Number Three
Posted by RJ Tee on June 09, 2015
- For Fun
Number 3) Data Center consolidation saves huge amounts of money in the long term and is driving a lot of data center spending right now
- These projects are being driven by security concerns, company growth, disaster recovery, cost savings, aging facilities, mergers, etc.
- The list of cost-cutting opportunities is nearly endless: power, cooling, maintenance, physical space, licensing, etc.
- Great time to also look for a location that can provide alternate power sources like (wind, solar, and geothermal) to reduce or eliminate your carbon footprint.
- Power selection can increase efficiency including 3-Phase 400V power solutions (230 or 240V to the device) to reduce conversion losses and heating.
- Updating facilities with more efficient servers also reduces costs greatly.
- Increasing the data center’s operating temperature and looking at alternative cooling solutions like free cooling can greatly reduce costs as well.